Since this time is going so quickly and babies change so much in the first month or two, I am going to post as often as I can of Markus’s progress.
Markus, at one week, you:
- are a champion nurser. You are such a perfectionist about it that sometimes you pull off and re-latch yourself, as if to say, “I can do better than this, Mom.” It was pretty funny watching you “drink from the firehose” for the first few days my milk was in.
- are (as a result of the previous item, no doubt) back to your starting weight of 9 lbs, 1 oz.
- stayed 21″ long. I didn’t push terribly long with you, either, so you didn’t have a cone-shaped head and therefore shrink after birth.
- have the most adorable face show mid-feeding. You breathe quickly, your eyelids flutter, you smile and grimace and make a little “o” with your mouth. Watching you is one of my favorite things to do these days!
- are a very even-keeled baby (thus far!). We are so thankful for this, since your sister’s adjustment has been a little hard on us. You usually only cry if you are hungry or cold, and you are content when you are awake or asleep.
- are a snuggler! Mama prayed for a snuggly baby, and she got what she asked for with you. I love smelling that wish-I-could-bottle-it-and-keep-it-forever newborn smell on your head and neck as you cozy up on my shoulder.
- got to go on your first outing last night. We ate supper out at Red Robin for Mama’s birthday (yay for birthday coupons!), and you slept through the entire meal.
- are fairly impossible to keep awake. Undressing, foot and head rubs, singing and talking right to your face, dancing, even an ice pack on your tummy–nothing keeps you awake when you want to sleep!
- seem to like infant massage. Just as she couldn’t stand to be cuddled, your sister wasn’t big on touch, so I stopped trying to do massage with her.
- are our favorite little boy in the universe. We are so blessed to have you!