No matter how busy I am, one thing I make time for is cooking wholesome meals for my family. Last night I made Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Pot Pie (recipe in her cookbook), however, and though it was made from scratch, it veered much more toward “comfort food” than “healthful dining option.” But good gravy (pun very much intended), was it DELICIOUS!
Other meals as of late:
- Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese
- Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes w/bacon, eggs and fruit (another of those comfort foods from the same cookbook)
- Potato Lasagna
- Homemade pizza
- Pad Thai (from Vegan with a Vengeance)
- Meatless chef salads (we eat that usually at least once a week)
- Chicken Flautas with guac, sour cream and refried beans
- Veggie stir fry
- Fresh-baked bread with veggies and fruit on the side
So though we don’t always eat conventionally (like breakfast for supper, more vegetarian than non), we try to get variety in our diet. A blessing: Anja eats pretty much everything we eat. Lately she even asks for more lettuce once she’s finished her salads! And she really likes veggies and hummus for snacks. She used to not touch raw carrots, but she has come around and likes them now. That makes me so happy. I hope Markus will at least give everything a try when he gets to eating age.
What are your family’s favorite meals? I’m always looking for ideas! Especially because we joined a CSA for the summer. I’m going to have all sorts of new veggies to try out, and I’ll need recipes.