This room was a LOT of work. It was very 1970s when we bought it. We thought about just painting over the paneling, but it was very grooved and porous and wouldn’t have worked well, so….
- Took down ugly curtain thingy and patched the holes
- Painted ceiling
- Painted walls
- Painted and installed new wainscoting (ended up having to have that professionally sprayed…long story!), baseboards and trim
- Painted the top of the ledge around the room
- Installed new vent covers
- Installed new outlets, outlet covers and switch-plate covers, as well as door knobs
- Painted (professionally) and installed new doors
- Had some strong friends help us move the piano from our old place to here (thanks, Strong Friends!)
We didn’t really get to finish this room until after we had moved in because we used it as a main place to paint the trim we used in the rest of the house. It is SO nice to have a family room space to keep the TV (it used to be in a 3rd bedroom/office where only 2 or 3 people could watch at once). Having the couch in the middle of the room also creates a nice little “track” for the kids to run around during the long winter months. Gotta burn off all that energy somehow, right? 🙂
I still haven’t figured out what I’m putting on the mantel or some of the other walls, but it’s a work in progress.